The Richmond Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) is an independent statutory board that ensures everyone is working together for the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. The Children Act 2004 states that each children services authority in England must establish a Local Safeguarding Children Board.
Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015 is the statutory guidance which sets out:
- The legislative requirements and expectations on individual services to safeguard and promote the welfare of children; and
- A clear framework for Local Safeguarding Children Boards (LSCBs) to monitor the effectiveness of local services.
In the light of new statutory guidance from the Department for Education, Richmond and Kingston LSCBs formally joined on 1st April 2018 and will now have joint main boards and some shared subgroups.
Safeguarding children is everybody’s responsibility and the board brings together all agencies and organisation who work with children and their family in Richmond to promote the welfare of children and young people. It co-ordinates safeguarding through each of the partnership’s subgroups, as well as a number of specific safeguarding subgroups, to carry out its functions.
Children Act 2004 Section 11 and Education Act 2002 Section 175 (c.32) outlines agencies that provide services to children and their family, including services they commission, must make arrangements to safeguard and promote the welfare of children.
Regardless of gender, age, disability, sexuality or race, every child is considered within the LSCB’s work and place great emphasis to ensure participation of children and young people, especially through hearing the child’s voice.
The following agencies are represented on the board:
- Housing Services
- Adult Social Care – Richmond Council
- South West London and St George’s Mental Health Trust
- Richmond Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
- Hounslow and Richmond Community Health Services (HRCH)
- Metropolitan Police Service
- Probation Services
- Voluntary sector
- Richmond College
- Achieving for Children – providing children services to the Royal Borough of Kingston and London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
- Local Schools
- Legal Services
- Lay Members
- Children and Family Court Advisory Support Service (CAFCASS)